The Constitution of the Farmingdale Federation of Teachers sets forth our purpose:
- To formulate and carry out a progressive program for the improvement of local service.
- To help solve the problems which concern its members in their local school relationships.
- To encourage each teacher to his or her task in the most effective manner.
- To provide a forum for the discussion of educational and professional organization problems of the State and nation.
- To encourage and to maintain high qualifications for entrance into the teaching profession, to aid in securing and maintaining adequate salaries, sound retirement systems, tenure and such other improvements and conditions as will enable teachers to function properly as a vital factor in educational progress.
- To render services to the community.
1957 - The Farmingdale Classroom Teachers Association was formed.
1964 - The CTA was operating fully as a union, though it had yet to adopt the name.
1966 - There were no laws that gave the right to public employees to engage in collective bargaining. However, the Farmingdale CTA negotiated the first agreement outside of New York City to include anything other than salary. This agreement established strict limits on class size and the extended sick leave policy which protects our members in times of medical crisis.
1968 - With political and financial pressures growing on several fronts, the Farmingdale CTA Board of Trustees proposed affiliation with the American Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO. The general membership voted overwhelmingly to join, and on November 8, 1968, The Farmingdale Classroom Teachers Association, Local 1889, was formed.
1973 - The Farmingdale CTA changed its name to the Farmingdale Federation of Teachers. The reason for the change was to convey a stronger labor union connection.